Do you love hymns? Songs of faith shape our understanding of spiritual truths; they remind us who God is. When we listen to hymns, the music awakens our auditory imagination and embeds the words into our memories. Lingering in our hearts and minds, hymns offer a regular reminder of God's loving and compassionate presence with us. This artful combination of music and lyric is a great gift.
Our Lenten eCourse, featuring James C. Howell's Unrevealed Until Its Season: A Lenten Journey with Hymns, centers on key phrases of well-loved hymns. "Take My Moments," "One Little Word Shall Fell Him," "Mystic Sweet Communion," and "Wonderful Words"?phrases like these become the rich subject matter for daily readings from Ash Wednesday through Easter Sunday. Join us for this Lenten reflection of hymns as we explore these themes:
- Merciful and Mighty: Hymns Praising God
- Beautiful Savior: Hymns About Jesus
- Prone to Wander: Hymns of Forgiveness
- Thy Presence My Light: Hymns of Vision
- With Joy Surround You: Hymns of Beauty
- Stony the Road: Hymns of Holy Week
- Love's Redeeming Work: Hymns of Easter
Our eCourse includes:
- A daily meditation (reading) for each of the 40 days of Lent
- Weekly recorded videos with author James C. Howell
- A live webinar with author Rev. Dr. James C. Howell on Tuesday, February 15 from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. (CST)*
- Weekly live sessions with Upper Room staff each Wednesday from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. (CST)
The Upper Room's live sessions will be offered on Zoom and include teaching as well as group discussion. They will begin March 9 and will conclude April 13.
*To prepare for the upcoming Lenten season, join author Rev. Dr. James C. Howell and The Upper Room Publisher Rev. Kimberly Orr as they talk about music, life, and Lent. Register for the free webinar here.