A Disciple's Journal, carefully designed and deeply Wesleyan, provides a pattern of daily prayer and scripture reading for persons who want to grow in holiness of heart and life. It invites readers into a Wesleyan way of following Jesus Christ shaped by the General Rule of Discipleship: To witness to Jesus Christ in the world and to follow his teachings through acts of compassion, justice, worship, and devotion under the guidance of the Holy Spirit. This edition begins with Advent 2019 and can be used for all cycle A years, beginning Advent 2022, 2025, and 2028.
The journal includes the following:
- a daily lectionary reading that corresponds with the Revised Common Lectionary, Year A
- inspirational quotes from John Wesley
- excerpts from Wesley’s sermons
- hymns from Charles Wesley
- orders for prayer in the morning and evening
- prayers for each day of the week
- a journal for discipleship
- a pattern for intercessory prayer
Steven W. Manskar, DMin, is a retired United Methodist pastor living in Grand Rapids, MI. He served at Discipleship Ministries for 19 years as director of Wesleyan leadership. He also served pastoral appointments in Maryland, Minnesota, and Michigan. Manskar is the author of A Disciple's Journal: A Guide for Daily Prayer, Bible Reading, and Discipleship (Years A, B, C); Disciples Making Disciples: A Guide for Covenant Discipleship Groups and Class Leaders; Accountable Discipleship: Living in God's Household; and A Perfect Love: Understanding John Wesley's ""A Plain Account of Christian Perfection.""